Luke 8:22-25


Luke 8:22-25
22 One day he got into a boat with his disciples, and he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side of the lake.” So they set out, 23 and as they sailed he fell asleep. And a windstorm came down on the lake, and they were filling with water and were in danger. 24 And they went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we are perishing!” And he awoke and rebuked the wind and the raging waves, and they ceased, and there was a calm. 25 He said to them, “Where is your faith?” And they were afraid, and they marveled, saying to one another, “Who then is this, that he commands even winds and water, and they obey him?”

Reading this takes me back to being at the Sea of Galilee. Being on a boat in the sea on a bright sunny day I imagined what it would look like when a storm would come. The placement of the Sea is in the Great Rift Valley causing the waves to get to at times up 10-12 feet. The weekend before I had been in this area, two men were lost at sea because of a sudden windstorm that tossed their boat into the depths of the sea. Putting myself in this story I can identify myself on both sides. I could see myself sleeping like Jesus while this storm comes, being a heavy sleeper that could fall asleep on any surface. I can also see myself being the frightened disciples as they thought this night could be their last. If I was in the disciples boat (no pun intended) I would honestly think of faith last. I wouldn't see any hope for a calm. I would be afraid and doubt I could get through it. When I am in scary storms in my life do I call out to God or do I try to solve the issues myself. Do I go through the issue and just go to bed thinking when I wake up the problem will go away? No, I need to ask the Lord in faith to deliver me from situations or storms in my life. Trials and tribulations will come and Jesus will be right by our side in these circumstances. I need to trust in Him that he will bring me through these storms. The next time I am in a storm I am going to be steadfast in the hope of the Lord. 


Application: I am going to deny my flesh tonight and be the last one to go to sleep so I can fellowship with my roommates. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Corinthians 1:4–6

2 Corinthians 11:30

psalm 81:16