Luke 17:7-10

Luke 17:7-10
Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and recline at table’? Will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink’? Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? 10 So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’ 

Humble service is necessary when we give our lives to the Lord. When we are serving, we are to go the extra mile. When we finish a task, we should ask if we can do anything else. We should not expect special praise for doing things that we are expected to do. A servant does not get special praise from his master for doing his job. Likewise disciples have certain responsibilities which they are to fulfill in humility as God’s unworthy servants. Our attitudes when serving should be out of a humble heart. In servant time, God has been killing my pride. In everyday life he has been killing my pride. I honestly did not think I had as much pride before coming here but that was pride in and of itself. Being prideful holds me back in so many ways. It is so selfish and sometimes I don't even notice when I am acting in pride. But God keeps reminding me of humility and that it comes before honor. Everyone loves honor. Everyone loves getting recognized from their service. But we do not get that recognition until we are put into that lowly place of humility. When we do the worst job in humility without that expectation of getting noticed and awarded we will get honor from the Lord. That is who we are serving. We are not serving ourselves but serving the Lord. 
application: I am going to take out the trash today



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Corinthians 1:4–6

2 Corinthians 11:30

psalm 81:16